Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Witches: "Voila, Boy Turns Into Mouse!"

Sketch and linework with blue graphite 
 After the Logan's Run dvd assignment, I realized that I had one more painting to do. This assignment was to do a scene from a children's book. I chose to do one from "The Witches" by Roald Dahl. I wanted to keep mine modern and not make the witches look too old but rather youthful looking! Adding bounce to their wigs, and 60's inspired make-up did the job. First I started with a couple of thumbnail sketches, chose an interesting composition and worked on a 9''x12'' final sketch. Originally there were four witches in the final sketch, but given advice--odd numbers are better.
I lined my blue graphite sketch with a brown micron pen, then after that, erased the blue and started painting. The first wash I start out with usually has 3-4 different colors and I do this very lightly. Then I use a layering technique to build up my values until I feel it looks finished. After all the painting is done, I scan my work at 400dpi and add a flat colored background on Photoshop CS5.
I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out in the end.

First wash and adding detail to face

Close to finished product, again adding detail.
Final

No comments:

Post a Comment